Hi everyone! Here's a new DIY for you, a sewing beginners tutorial for a raindrop baby rattle, super easy to be made and the perfect gift for a newborn baby and its parents. :)
What you need:
- A piece of fabric (double as big as you want your drop to be - enough for front and bag)
- Batting for the filling
- A rattle (which can be washed in a washing machine, for example the rattles by Snaply Nähkram)
- Sewing machine or needle and thread to sew by hand (only takes longer)
- Sewing supplies: scissors, chalk pen, pins, a hot iron and an ironing board
- Optional: my pattern for the drop (or make your own one or even another shape)
Here's how it goes: print out the pattern (or make your own one) and use it to draw two identical shapes next to each other onto your piece of fabric.
Cut out the drops.
Use the pins to pin the two layers onto each other, right sides facing.
Leave an opening at the bottom where you will later put the batting into. Mark the opening with the chalk pen.
Sew the layers onto each other, leaving a seam allowance of 0,5cm and leaving out the opening at the bottom.
Use your scissors to cut tiny triangles into the seam allowance. This helps to make the edges look neat when turning the drop inside out. Make sure not to cut into the seam!
Turn the drop inside out.
Top-stitch around the whole drop, this makes it safer and will better prevent the batting from coming out later (but of course you should not let the baby play alone with it!). Again leave out the opening at the bottom.
Put the rattle inside.
Fill the drop with the batting and make sure the rattle stays in the middle.
Use the pins to close the opening at the bottom of the drop rattle.
Close the opening by closing your top-stitch seam next to the edge.
That's it, you're done!
Have lots of fun with this super cute baby rattle!
Happy sewing! :)